This week we focused on mechanical maintenance and getting things ready for the next season.

The next chapter of the season

One of the interesting things about being a diesel fitter at Casey is the constantly changing workload that defines different stages of our season. We have had a great run repairing and maintaining the Wilkins equipment over the past few months and we are now preparing to send some of the gear back up to the runway with the other half of our team, the aviation crew.

Over the coming weeks, all of the machinery for the next flying season will make its way up the hill, and our focus will move to getting the station gear in order. Transferring more fuel from the lower farm to the upper, and preparing our sections so things are in top shape for the next crew, all while supporting the aviation team as the need arises.

It’s an exciting yet busy time of the year for us as we begin to bring machinery out of hibernation, and with more sunshine overhead, the promise of wildlife and new faces returning to mark the end of what has been a great experience for all.

Law Dome traverse

Last week marked the time of year for the station to traverse to Law Dome in order to complete repairs to the automatic weather station (AWS). After weeks of preparations involving numerous members of the station community, all the gear was in place and the weather observations proved promising and the journey began.

Monday morning involved getting up early, loading our personal effects and getting the machinery warm and ready to roll. The trip itself took around 14 hours with a few short breaks for a cup of tea and to check the gear and refuel the Hägg. Upon arrival we were pleased to discover that the weather station, while not operating, was still standing with minimal damage. We setup camp for the night, enjoyed some fantastic pre-prepared meals and got a good night’s rest.

At first light work began on the AWS and by midday the signal was transmitting and we were ready to pack up the gear and hit the road. We made it home by midday the next day just in time to pack up the gear to a stage that it was ready for the next traverse in the coming weeks to Cape Poinsett. All in all, a good time was had by the traverse team, the trip was a success and a great experience was had by all.