The handbook outlines some of the steps that you need to take before travelling and answers some of the most commonly asked questions about living and working in Antarctica. As the time for your departure draws closer, you will receive additional information specific to your voyage or flight and particular circumstances.
Topics covered by the Handbook include:
- Personal considerations before you leave including financial, medical and voting responsibilities
- Preparing and packing to go South, including issued clothing and equipment, prohibited items, how to clean your gear, cargo and training
- Information technology preparation and security issues
- Working at the AAD at Kingston
- Shipping and air transport
- Living and working in Antarctica
- Protecting the environment
- Liaison and support
- Antarctic service conditions
- Policies and legislative responsibilities
The Handbook is currently under review, but the 2016-2020 version is still in use.
View the handbook: