I'm heading to Antarctica for the 22/23 season (soon), when do I need to have my cargo lodged?

For those who intend to send cargo this season on Voyages 1 – 6 and C17 Flights 010 – 030.

As Cargo Required by Dates (CRBD) for this season are fast approaching, a reminder that all consignments need to be submitted for packing in Econ and, where possible, by CRBD.

Please see the table below for CRBD dates. They can also be found on the Shipping and Flight Schedule on the AAD Website.

The standard Cargo Required by Date (CRBD) is set at 45 calendar days* prior to the scheduled transport’s departure date, if this date falls on a weekend or public holiday the CRBD will be scheduled as the nearest business day following.

*In consideration to the quickly approaching transport deadlines for the 2022/23 season and associated procurement lead times, the CRBD for the first four scheduled voyages and cargo flights departing in 2022, will remain at 30 calendar days prior to scheduled transport’s departure date.



Cargo Required by Date (CRBD)

Days to Cargo Required by Date (as of date this email was sent)

Voyage 1

Macquarie Island (Personnel deployment and strictly limited priority cargo)



Voyage 2

Davis (Refuel and strictly limited priority cargo)



Voyage 3

Davis (Priority cargo only)















Voyage 4

Casey (Refuel)



Voyage 5

Casey, Davis, Mawson



Voyage 6

Mawson (Refuel)



All cargo requires a consignment lodged in Econ and cargo delivered by the CRBD. Cargo lodged and delivered prior to the CRBD does not need to go through an approval process, however if you have large volumes of cargo or large pieces of plant or equipment you will need to negotiate a Cargo Delivery Agreement with Supply Planning.

Any cargo submitted in Econ after the CRBD (i.e. unplanned late cargo) is considered ‘closed cargo’ and will be required to follow the closed cargo approvals process. More information about this process can be found on Blizzline or, if you are external, by contacting Supply Planning as soon you are aware that you have a requirement to send closed cargo. Please be aware that only critical cargo will be considered for approval.

Australia Post mail must be received at the Australian Antarctic Division 10 days prior to the original scheduled transport departure date. More information can be found on the Antarctic Postal Information page.

Who do I talk to about my science project (new or existing)?

The Science Planning and Coordination team are here to help. Email planning@aad.gov.au or call 03 6232 3593

How can I change or vary an aspect of my existing science project?

Submit a Request for Variation form.

There are two categories of variation request, which will be determined by the impact of the request on the Australian Antarctic Program:

Minor – these include additional team members not travelling south, deferral requests, additional Australia-based seasons, as well as small changes to project objectives, milestones and the like.

Major – these include any changes where extra support is required from the Australian Antarctic Division (AAD), including additional field sites or marine science support, science equipment and technical support, and kitting for non-AAD vessels. This also includes requests for additional seasons requiring field support, additional berths, and activities involving animal ethics or permit approvals.

This Request for Variation form must be submitted by the project’s Chief Investigator (CI) to SP&C at planning@aad.gov.au, and they will facilitate the approval. Major variations must be accompanied by an email or letter from the CI’s head of research unit or institution stating they are aware of and support the request.

Your variation request and the decision (once received) will be viewable as an attachment on the project in the Antarctic Applications Online system (AAO)

I am an AAD scientist and I need to travel (not to Antarctica) for my project. What are the steps I need to take?

Check if this travel is in your Australian Antarctic Science Project

  • If Yes - Follow the travel information found on the AAD intranet (right hand menu under finance travel and procurement)
  • If No - You will need to submit a Request for Variation form and recieve approval before embarking on any travel arrangements
How can I safely transport my scientific samples?

Follow the steps outlined on the Scientific samples and Sample transport process pages, paying close attention to the required documentation and timing of your actions, as the sample owner.

Don't forget to ensure your service level agreement includes your desired sample destination if that destination is outside of the AAD.

Can I use drones in Antarctica?

As the use of drones continues to expand, it is important that all personnel who work in this space read and comply with the recently released the Department's Drone Use Policy. The policy also refers to the operations manual which is approved by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority.

If you or your team are considering using drones for a project, or engaging contractors to do so, please email the Chief Remote Pilot and the Drone Operations and Technology Solutions (DOTS) team crp@awe.gov.au to discuss your project and request a copy of the Drone Use Policy and the Operations Manual.

I have an idea for a science project. Is there a process for me to suggest it?

If you are not currently engaged in the Australian Antarctic Science Program, send your ideas to planning@aad.gov.au – for Program Leader and Chief Scientist consideration.

Please note though, that there will be no open call for new Australian Antarctic Science Program projects. The focus of any new projects must align with the Australian Antarctic Science Program priorities.

If you’re from the Australian Antarctic Program Partnership or Special Research Initiative, please talk to your program manager.

If you’re part of the Australian Antarctic Division, please talk to your Program Leader.

Does the AAD have processes in place to mitigate the risk of COVID-19 in the Antarctic and Sub Antarctic?

COVID-19 Vaccination is mandatory for all travellers with the program.

The most up to date information on our COVID-19 processes can be found here.

Anyone travelling to Antarctica or the sub Antarctic with the Australian Antarctic Science Program should familiarise themselves with this information (or risk being unable to travel).

Avian Flu: Safety and Environment Alert September 2022

To maintain your safety and prevent the spread of Avian Flu, all scientific expeditioners must read the Safety and Environment Alert regarding Avian Flu. Further information can be obtained by emailing either WHS@aad.gov.au or AADEnvironment@aad.gov.au.

How can I submit a publication to the publications database?

We have a new online form. Find the form and a link to our publications database here.