Back in late August Hägglunds K-18 (blue Hägg) decided that it wanted to have a holiday, so whilst in the field one afternoon she failed to start. Prognosis — broken starter. The two diesos were dispatched to replace said starter motor, and two hours after arriving at Rumdoodle the starter motor was replaced… The starter motor wasn’t the problem. The Hägglunds was towed back to station (covered in a previous story), where a busy four days saw the engine and transmission removed to replace the flywheel and then reinstalled.
This was the first time that I have removed an engine from a Hägglunds in anger. The job was made easier with the assistance of my fellow dieso and several others on station. By the end of the first day the engine was almost ready for extraction, with fuel lines and coolant hoses removed, electrical plugs unplugged, and exhaust section removed.
The following morning the four engine mounts and drive shaft were removed, and out came the engine. This is only possible with the assistance of an engine/transmission counter balance lifting rig. Once we got the engine out and on the ground the engine/transmission was split to reveal the ring gear had broken off the flywheel. The spare flywheel was sourced and installed — the transmission/engine were married again. This was the end of day two.
On day three, after a pre-start meeting to discuss the day’s work, it was time to get the engine back in. We got the lift frame installed on the engine, and the fun began. The installation process is very much the same as the removal process, only reversed. To get the engine from the workshop floor to resting on the engine mounts took several hours, after some tight fits and slow-going to avoid damaging anything. We had to watch the hoses and electrical cables — if any were crushed we would potentially need to remove the engine again. Luckily we didn’t have any problems with the installation. The afternoon saw us installing all the hoses and cables, which went without any major problems.
On day four we had to torque up the engine mount’s drive shaft and lastly install the exhaust. We primed the fuel and then crossed the old finger and pushed the start button… Sweet sound of success! We cleaned up the area, put the seats back in place (so that we can drive it without sitting on milk crates), then it was time for a test drive. Not a problem.
Thanks to the entire station for their assistance in completing the repair, in particular Ewan and Chris for driving it at the time. You saved us a whole lot of trouble later on.
Station Mechanical Supervisor