The Happy D-type fleet are flexible, heavy lift, ice-strengthened vessels. The vessels were constructed in 2011 and are owned and operated by BigLift Shipping.
MV Happy Dragon was chartered by the Australian Antarctic Division in the 2021/22 season. MV Happy Diamond has been chartered for the 2022/23 season.
- Multi-purpose Vessel (MV)
- Finnish Ice Class 1A
- main engines: Wärtsilä 8L46C producing 8400 kW, and Bowthruster producing 850 kW
- length: 156.93 metres
- breadth: 25.72 metres
- capacity: 17,250 tons (dead weight) in storage holds of 20,892 m3.
- maximum open water speed: 17 knots
- combined lifting capacity of 800 mt
- 28 crew, 36 passengers
MV Happy Dragon saw the largest single station resupply ever undertaken with the delivery of traverse cargo to Casey in the 2021/22 season. More than 1000 tonnes was unloaded, with station and ship teams working for a month to haul the cargo ashore. Much of this cargo was sleds and custom-designed living quarters for the Million Year Ice Core project's mobile station.