The J. Lauritzen Line ships from Denmark were synonymous with ANARE shipping through the early years of Australia’s Antarctic program.
The famous ‘Dan’ ships were regular visitors to the port of Melbourne, and later Hobart. They travelled to Antarctica resupplying Australia’s stations between 1953 and 1987.
Built to Ice Class 1, the Dan ships had ice-strengthened, all-welded, smooth hulls. These provided a stronger structure and protection for the rudder.
With a fully enclosed crow’s nest containing navigation instruments, the ships gave the ice pilot a bird’s eye view of the ice conditions. They also had helidecks enabling helicopters to relay information on ice conditions well ahead of the ship’s passage.