Polymer water tanks have been converted into established accommodation modules called ‘tank huts'. Modifications include additional interior insulation, single access door and three windows.
These huts have been developed in two sizes for accommodation and work areas. Tank huts were deployed in 2000 to Heard Island.
- Tank huts are low cost.
- Limited effort is required for erection with installed interior equipment.
- These huts have a rigid structure that should require limited work for deployment.
- They are suitable for air-lifting or self-floating deployment.
- They have a spacious interior with standing height.
- The huts are relatively low-weight.
- They allow for flexibility in the interior fit out.