The AAPAEC Chair (or delegate) initially determines whether an out-of-session variation request will be classed as Major or Minor.
A major variation involves significant change to an AAPAEC Animal Ethics Approval and changes the animal welfare. Examples of a significant change to an approval could include: change of species; additional species; an increase in animal usage, handling or disturbance; a new procedure not previously approved by the AAPAEC for the project.
If the AAPAEC Chair (or delegate) determines the variation is major:
- the request is circulated to all AAPAEC members for consideration;
- a response from AAPAEC members is required within five working days.
A minor variation involves minimal change to an AAPAEC Animal Ethics Approval and does not change animal welfare. Examples of a minimal change to an approval could include: location change; nomination of TBA personnel; change in personnel; an additional procedure which does not increase handling of animals; an additional procedure which does not involve disturbance to animals.
If the AAPAEC Chair (or delegate) determines the variation is minor:
- AAPAEC members will be advised of the variation request and the Chair’s (or delegate’s) decision to classify the variation as minor;
- AAPAEC members will then have the opportunity to comment or raise any concerns with the classification;
- If concerns are raised with the minor classification, the full AAPAEC will consider the variation;
- If there are no concerns with the minor classification, the AAPAEC Executive will be delegated the authority to manage the variation request.
The AAPAEC Executive comprises:
- Chair (or delegate);
- Category A (veterinarian) OR Category B (animal researcher);
- Category C (animal welfare representative) OR Category D (community representative);
- Default members of the AAPAEC Executive are Categories A and C, unless unavailable;
- An AAPAEC Executive response is required within three working days.
Out-of-session — Outside the annual AAPAEC meeting
Procedure — A technique employed when using animals for research
TBA — To be advised
Variations are only forwarded to the AAPAEC following prior endorsement by the relevant Australian Antarctic Science Program Theme Leader.
The Australian Antarctic Division Treaties, Environment and Territories Section are also advised of all variations.