RAAF Antarctic Flight
On ANARE’s first voyage in 1947, a Vickers Supermarine Walrus crewed by the RAAF Antarctic Flight was transported to Heard Island. However, after only one week on the island it was destroyed by a storm. In the same summer, a Vought Sikorsky Kingfisher seaplane was transported south by the Wyatt Earp. Despite difficulties in launching and retrieving the aircraft, the Kingfisher was used for two one-hour reconnaissance flights near the Ninnis and Mertz Glaciers.
In 1951, a RAAF Lincoln aircraft carried out an airdrop of medical supplies and fresh food to Macquarie Island, a practice which was resumed later in the 1970s.
In 1953, ANARE purchased two Auster Mark 6 aircraft that had seen Antarctic service on the 1949–52 Norwegian-British-Swedish Antarctic Expedition. ANARE planned to use the Auster aircraft on the 1954 expedition to establish Mawson station. During the voyage on the Kista Dan, the Austers were damaged in a storm. However, a composite aircraft was rebuilt in the ship’s hold using parts from both. The aircraft, which had no flaps, required great skill from the RAAF Antarctic Flight pilots to fly. It was later lost overboard on the Kista Dan during a hurricane. However, the Auster cannibalised for parts was rebuilt by the Royal Victorian Aero Club, and used by ANARE for reconnaissance photography and field support from 1955–59.
Other years were not without mishap. During this time, RAAF Antarctic Flight operated De Havilland DHC-2 Beavers across a range of locations between the Wilkes and Mawson coasts. In 1959, blizzards destroyed two Beavers stationed on the plateau inland from Mawson at Gwamm.
From 1956–63, the RAAF Dakota Douglas DC3 aircraft were also based year-round at Mawson. These planes were used successfully to survey over a million square kilometres of Australian Antarctic Territory including the vast and remote Prince Charles Mountains. In 1960, a Dakota was delivered to Mawson on board the Thala Dan. Shortly after being reassembled, it was damaged in a handling mishap. The Dakota, repositioned at Rumdoodle in readiness for operations the following summer, was completely destroyed by a blizzard which blew it six kilometres across the ice.
In 1963, due to ANARE’s increasing use of helicopters and routing of Australia’s defence resources to the Vietnam War, these losses signalled the end of RAAF Antarctic Flight year-round operations.
After this time, ANARE chartered fixed wing aircraft such as the Pilatus Porter PC-6 and the CASA 212–400 from commercial operators for intracontinental support. However, over the years RAAF have provided intercontinental support to the Australian Antarctic Program.
In 1970, a RAAF No. 11 Squadron Orion maritime reconnaissance aircraft flew over Macquarie Island at 300 feet, dropping mail to waving expeditioners. In 1977, another flight dropped storepedoes of food to resupply Macquarie Island station.
In 1978, Australia entered into a cooperative air transport agreement with the United States and New Zealand. This involved two US ski-equipped LC-130 Hercules summer flights between the McMurdo station and the Casey ski landing area, in return for RAAF wheeled C-130 Hercules flights between Christchurch and McMurdo. Up until 1983, seven flights were made on the McMurdo-Casey route by US Navy aircraft, and 19 flights on the New Zealand-McMurdo route by the RAAF carrying cargo and personnel.
At this time, the RAAF Hercules C-130 aircraft also supported operations at Macquarie Island with two or three airdrops targeting the narrow three-second drop zone on the island’s isthmus during an eight-hour non-stop flight.
In 2015–16, the RAAF C-17A Globemaster III successfully delivered over 109 tonnes of heavy lift cargo to and from Wilkins Aerodrome, conducted an airdrop of four heliboxes from 500 feet, and simulated an emergency aeromedical evacuation.