Theme 1: Climate Processes and Change
Theme goal: To improve understanding of the role of Antarctica and the Southern Ocean in the global climate system, with special focus on addressing critical gaps in knowledge identified by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
The research will be divided into four streams:
- 1.1 The Antarctic ice sheet
- 1.2 Oceans and marine ice in the Southern Hemisphere
- 1.3 Atmospheric processes and change
- 1.4 Antarctic palaeoclimate.
Key expected outcomes for this theme are:
- enhanced detection and attribution of climate change in the Antarctic system across the oceans, cryosphere and atmosphere
- enhanced performance of coupled earth system models through improved representation of the dynamics of Southern Ocean and Antarctic processes providing more robust analysis of climate change to guide domestic and international responses
- enhanced capability to adapt to the impacts of climate change through improved understanding of the nature and extent of change in ocean carbon sinks, sea level rise, regional climate variability, and Southern Ocean biophysical systems.