DHC-6 Twin Otter
The aircraft used for intra continental operations are ski-equipped DHC-6 Twin Otter aircraft.
The Twin Otter aircraft is a twin engine turboprop, fixed undercarriage STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) aircraft with a side entry cargo door.
Its configuration makes the Twin Otter suitable for general Antarctic operations, while the payload/range characteristics make it suitable for the long distances between our Antarctic stations.
A crew of two pilots and one engineer operate and maintain the Twin Otter aircraft which is owned and operated by contracted service providers Kenn Borek Air.
DHC-6 Twin Otter specifications
- ski-equipped twin turboprop, fixed undercarriage STOL aircraft with a side entry cargo door ( 1422mm x 1270mm)
- maximum speed: 160 knots (on skis)
- maximum range (in normal configuration): 775 nautical miles
- fuel capacity: 1421 litres
- passengers: up to 19 expeditioners
Aircraft documentation for expeditioners
All expeditioners will need to attend a pre-flight briefing and sign the Acknowledgement of Risk form, prior to flying aboard the aircraft within Antarctica.