Small boat training
If your program requires the use of small boats you may need to attend the AAD small boats course. This is a mandatory course if you wish to be involved in inflatable rubber boat use at the station.
If you intend to drive the boats, you will also need a Restricted Coxswain qualification, which is available in each state. To qualify for this, you must have a minimum of 180 days of time logged in small boats.
At least six members of each expedition group will be nominated to attend the boat training, with preference going to those who require use of a boat for their program, and who satisfy the requisite number of days at sea.
Additional training and local area familiarisation will be conducted on arrival at the station.
Topics you will cover include:
- safety rules of boating
- basic principles of seamanship
- knowledge of boat and motor
- basic navigation skills
- maintenance and fault finding
- specific and operational driving skills
- knowledge of personal protection requirements
- accident and emergency procedures
- local area knowledge