Browning Repeater

Page 1 of 2 Next
This week at Casey: 26 July 2013

There are many changes at Casey as the year progresses. As with everywhere else in the southern hemisphere, it gets colder and around the Antarctic continent the sea ice grows. At Casey, the sea ice forms, then we get a good blow and then most of it is gone again. Fortunately for us, the closer islands tend to lock the sea ice in, so there are areas (once the sea ice has been deemed safe to travel on) which are then opened up for quad travel.

The radio repeater, located in the Browning Peninsula area, is an important communication tool as once one is on the sea ice, this repeater is the only means available for communication back to station.

With the lack of sunlight (lots of overcast weather and the normal reduced sunlight hours during winter), the batteries at the repeater site were in need of a bit of TLC. The first visit to the site verified that the batteries were actually in need a bit of a top up, so it was out with the generator and charger... but like all good plans the plastic coating on the leads of the charger just cracked and fell off as the leads were straightened. Not very successful, but there was an upside to the visit as we had found that one of the eye securing bolts on the solar panel for the guy wires had broken, for which we had no spares with us, plus a couple of other minor maintenance issues which we were not aware of. With the temperature around -35 degrees and winds between 20-30 knots, it was not a pleasant place to be. The hut gas heater would not work, so the trip finished up as a day trip instead of an overnight stay.

Back at Casey the leads on the charger were changed, and parts obtained so everything at the repeater site and at the hut could be fixed on the next trip. It was hard getting a couple of people to volunteer for the next trip as the weather conditions were going to be about the same as the previous visit. We ventured out again to the beautiful area of Brownings. Browning repeater was provided with a new lease on life and all the maintenance issues at the site were fixed. The hut gas heater was replaced plus the hut battery, which was feeling a little down, was also given a new lease on life. Overall, it was a very successful trip and all items requiring a little care were left in much better shape than they were when we arrived at Brownings. My thanks to everyone who assisted me, particularly at the top of a cold and windy Goldenberg Ridge on Browning Peninsula.

To top it all off, a pleasant comfortable night was had at Browning Hut, with good company, snow falling outside (being blown around by the wind) and the morning provided the sight of an area covered in low-lying fog with a visibility of around 100 metres. An absolutely beautiful area.

Browning Hut in a snowy and rocky terrain
Browning Hut
(Photo: Doug McVeigh)
Browning snowy and rocky landscape
Browning Peninsular hut area
(Photo: Doug McVeigh)
Doug and Chad examining the radio repeater
Browning repeater
(Photo: Mark Beecher)
Landscape shot of the Vanderford Glacier edge
Vanderford Glacier overview
(Photo: Doug McVeigh)
Vanderford Glacier edge meeting the sea ice
Vanderford Glacier
(Photo: Doug McVeigh)
Select story: