Peterson Island (66°28′S 110°30′E / 66.467°S 110.5°E) is located west of Casey Station and is one of the most scenic spots to visit in the Windmill Islands. The Island is 3.2 km long with two inlets indenting the north side, lying immediately west of Browning Peninsula.
Peterson Island was named after Lt. Mendel L. Peterson, US Navy, who was a supply officer with Operation Windmill. Operation Windmill established astronomical control stations in the area in January 1948. The island is a breeding area for snow petrel, cape petrel, south polar skua and the southern elephant seal.