In addition to maintaining the Australian Antarctic telecommunications network, both within the station environs and back to Australia, the station telecommunications personnel are responsible for maintaining and repairing a diverse range of other equipment.
Some of the equipment for which the Telecommunications Section is responsible for is:
- Entertainment equipment such as video, CD and DVD players, televisions, amplifiers and speakers
- LCD projectors
- Office equipment including laminators, multi-function devices and printers
- Navigation equipment including GPS receivers and marine radars mounted on over-snow vehicles
- Environmental monitoring equipment, on behalf of AAD Engineering Section's renewable energy programme
- Networked medical equipment access and updates
The responsibility for the maintenance and repair of uninterruptible power supplies rests with the station electricians but advice about the associated electronics may be required at times.