Field accommodation review report
Field accommodation systems, critical to the success, comfort and safety of field expeditions, have always played an important role in the activities of the Australian Antarctic program.
Future directions in our Antarctic science program indicate that field parties will be deployed on a much larger and wider scale than at present. This trend, together with recent developments in technologies related to energy generation, waste disposal and field hut design, prompted a review into the different types of field accommodation currently available for use in the Antarctic environment.
An investigation was undertaken by the AAD Engineering Section during the 2001-2002 season which resulted in the following report. All the files are downloadable below.
- Part 1 Exec Summary [PDF]
- Part 2 Introduction [PDF]
- Part 3 Defining Field Accommodation Systems [PDF]
- Part 4 Selecting Field Accommodation Systems [PDF]
- Part 5 Review of historic AAD field systems [PDF]
- Part 6 Catalogue of Field Accommodation Systems [PDF]
- Part 7 Case Study Large Scale Vehicle Shelter [PDF]
- Part 8 Field Refuge Maintenance System [PDF]
- Part 9 Innovations in Field Accommodation Technolo [PDF]
- Part 10 Case Study Tank Hut Redevelopment [PDF]
- Part 11 Summary of Further Work [PDF]
- Part 12 Appendices A, B and C [PDF]