When you are out in the field, you are expected to observe the following guidelines:
- Familiarise yourself with any protected areas near where you are going, and do not visit them without appropriate permits
- Ensure you have a permit if you wish to collect any biological or geological specimens including rocks, bones, eggs or fossils
- Stay off ice and snow free areas with the exception of designated roads and crossings
- Do not walk on the moss beds and lichens. Although they may look dead, they are probably still alive and may have taken hundreds of years to grow
- Do not disturb or pollute lakes or streams
- Do not paint or engrave names or graffiti on rocks
- Ensure that all cargo and waste is properly secured to ensure it does not end up scattered across Antarctica.