Aerodrome Plant/Grader Operator
You will need to be skilled at your trade, as well as resourceful and versatile, with the ability to assimilate additional training specific to aerodrome operations.
The job involves operating a wide range of equipment at Willkins, as well as a number of other aerodrome-related tasks such as maintaining runway markers and lighting, establishing terminal duties, assisting with communication schedules and aircraft marshalling.
All the additional training specific to aerodrome operations will take place at the AAD prior to your departure over a period of about 8 weeks.
What will you actually do on the job?
- Operating a variety of machinery in support of runway construction and maintenance including:
- Cat 14H grader
- Cat D7R Dozer
- Cat 966G Loader
- Hagglunds all-terrain vehicles
- Overaasen and Schmidt snow blowers
- Challenger MT 865B tractor towing compaction rollers and trailers
- Performing operator level preventative maintenance and servicing on plant.
- Manually 'de-blizzing' plant and machinery after strong winds.
- Assisting mechanics in conducting repairs and servicing to plant and equipment.
- Undertaking other construction tasks such as snow harvesting, pot hole repairs, pavement testing, assisting the surveyor, etc
- Undertaking common duties necessary for the operation of the camp such as, refueling generators, 'de-blizz' camp infrastructure, conduct resupply activities, participate in search and rescue training/operations, assist in taking weather observations, assist with kitchen and cleaning duties, conduct water replenishment, conduct waste collection/clearance, operate camp radios, operate oversnow vehicles, etc.
- Undertaking duties necessary for the operation of the the Wilkins camp such as assisting in the following tasks:
- maintaining runway markers
- operating and maintaining runway lighting equipment
- establishing terminal facilities
- marshalling and supervising passengers
- aircraft loading
- handling cargo
- aircraft marshalling
- responding to aircraft emergencies.
As well as these specific job roles you will also be required to perform station duties rostered by the station leader or Wilkins supervisor to support community life, such as general kitchen duties, garbage clearance, water duties, and assisting other expedition members with official programs.
Interested in working in Antarctica?
Jobs in Antarctica are advertised during a recruitment period towards the end of each year. Some positions are not available every year. For more information, see Jobs in Antarctica.