Aerodrome Camp Support Officer
Do you get on well in small, remote communities? Are you prepared to work in a range of jobs to assist in the smooth running of an isolated camp?
The Aerodrome Camp Support Officer position may be just what you are looking for! This is a summer position based at Wilkins Aerodrome, about 70 km from Casey.
In this position, you will provide administrative support to the Wilkins Runway camp which includes undertaking a range of duties to maintain essential services at the camp as well as kitchen duties including cooking.
What will you actually do on the job?
- Provide a nutritious and varied diet with meals for up to 20 staff at the Aerodrome camp.
- Satisfy varied dietary requirements, vegetarian, vegan and common food intolerances.
- Maintain the kitchen and utensils in a safe, operational and hygienic condition.
- Manage food and consumable stocks, ensuring suitable storage.
- Prepare monthly and end of season reports.
- Clean and service camp facilities including snow melters, ablutions, passenger lounge, communal areas, etc.
- Remove snow accumulations from around the camp.
- Assist with runway operations (after receiving relevant training) by performing additional roles such as emergency response team member, aircraft ground handler, baggage cargo handling and runway marking.
- Drive over-snow vehicles between the camp and Casey Station to conduct resupply activities.
- Assist with regular communications, local and station schedules.
As well as these specific job roles you will also be required to perform station duties rostered by the station leader or Wilkins supervisor to support community life, such as general kitchen duties, garbage clearance, water duties, and assisting other expedition members with official programs.
Interested in working in Antarctica?
Jobs in Antarctica are advertised during a recruitment period towards the end of each year. Some positions are not available every year. For more information, see Jobs in Antarctica.