Jobs in Antarctica
The Australian Antarctic Division is now accepting applications for job opportunities supporting the 2018–19 Australian Antarctic Program.
Applications will close at 5.00 pm AEDT on 24 January 2018 (Hobart time). Please note some positions are not open for the current recruitment round.
- Chef Applications open: Yes
Provide a nutritious and varied diet for expeditioners in one of the most isolated kitchens on the planet.
- Watercraft Operator Applications open: No
Operate watercraft to deploy, monitor and retrieve fuel lines and undertake transfers of passengers and cargo.
- Field Training Officer Applications open: Yes
Teach a wide range of survival skills to your fellow expeditioners, many of whom have little to no experience in snow and ice.
- Station Supply Officer Applications open: Yes
Provide the supply support necessary to mount and sustain logistics operations.
Antarctic medical practitioners
- Station Communications Technical Officer Applications open: Yes
Supervise and/or carry out routine and complex telecommunication installation, maintenance tasks and operation of equipment.
- Communications Operator Applications open: Yes
Operate communications equipment ensuring the safety of personnel travelling in the field, by aircraft or watercraft.
- Communications Rigger Applications open: Yes
Carry out maintenance on masts and antenna systems at Antarctic Stations.
- Information Technology Officer Applications open: Yes
Provide ICT support services on station, and assist with, the installation of ICT Infrastructure.
- Engineering Services Supervisor Applications open: Yes
Schedule and supervise a group of trades personnel engaged in maintenance, construction and refurbishment projects.
- Building Services Supervisor Applications open: Yes
Co-ordinate the on-site activities of a group of multi-skilled trades personnel over winter and contribute as a working manager.
- Carpenter Applications open: Yes
Maintain station buildings and field huts, safely operate the carpenter's workshop and participate in building construction work.
- Electrician & Instrument Electrician Applications open: Yes
Install, operate and maintain a station's primary power source and the associated electrical reticulation systems.
- Rigger Applications open: Yes
Work with cranes and other plant, assisting in the erection, cladding and fit out of new buildings as well as assisting in the maintenance of the existing infrastructure.
- Boilermaker Welder Applications open: Yes
Undertake the safe operation of the metal working machinery and welding bays; assist in the erection, cladding and fit out of new buildings as well as assisting in the maintenance of the existing infrastructure.
- Concreter Applications open: Yes
Undertake site preparation, placing formwork, steel fixing, concrete placing and finishing. Assist in the erection, cladding and fit out of new buildings as well as assisting in general maintenance of the existing infrastructure.
- Fitter & Turner Applications open: Yes
Manufacture parts and service a variety of machinery. Work with electricians, plumbers and diesel mechanics as well as assisting construction teams and science projects.
- Refrigeration Mechanic Applications open: Yes
Install and maintain domestic and commercial refrigeration plant as well as assisting with general maintenance and construction tasks for the station infrastructure.
- Plumber Applications open: Yes
Install, operate and maintain building mechanical services plant and equipment including all internal/external reticulated pipe work.
- Mechanical Services (HVAC) Balancing Technician Applications open: Yes
Take responsibility for the balancing of mechanical services air and water systems in all buildings at Davis station.
- Station Mechanical Supervisor Applications open: Yes
Manage the mechanical section's operations and operate equipment as part of the mechanical team.
- Expedition Mechanic Applications open: Yes
Maintain a wide range of mechanical plant and equipment including portable generators, specialised over snow vehicles and earth moving machinery.
- Station Plant Operator Applications open: Yes
Take responsibility for safe operation and routine maintenance of a range of plant and equipment associated with construction and maintenance activities.
- Wilkins Aerodrome Manager Applications open: Yes
Be responsible for the on-site management of the Wilkins Aerodrome, in particular the pack up and reinstatement of the Aerodrome to an operational level.
- Deputy Wilkins Aerodrome Manager Applications open: No
Be responsible for the day to day tasking and supervision of Aerodrome staff.
- Aircraft Ground Support Officer Applications open: Yes
Be responsible for the provision of ground support to fixed and rotary wing operations in Antarctica.
- Aerodrome Camp Support Officer Applications open: No
Support the Wilkins Runway camp through a range of administrative and practical duties.
- Aerodrome Plant Operator Applications open: Yes
Be directly involved in construction and maintenance of Wilkins ice runway and have a role in aerodrome operations.