20 Year Action Plan: Year two
In the second year following the release of the Action Plan, the Government will have:
- Completed preliminary work to build Australia’s science leadership in Antarctica, including:
- building an overland traverse capability, with associated ice core drilling and mobile station infrastructure and research support, to enable planning with international partners to retrieve a million-year ice core
- building research infrastructure in Hobart to establish Australia as the world’s leader in krill research, including building on philanthropic fund
- further scoping options to deliver year‑round aviation access between Hobart and Antarctica, in accordance with domestic and Antarctic Treaty system environmental approval requirements
- progressing options to modernise infrastructure at Australia’s three Antarctic research stations.
- Revitalised Antarctic science, including by having:
- implemented a coordinated and effective Antarctic science funding model to increase Antarctic research by leading Australian institutions together with international and industry partners
- established an Antarctic Foundation to augment science funding with private funding to build opportunities for public-private partnerships to conduct new and iconic scientific research endeavours and build greater public understanding of Antarctica
- completed a review of the Australian Antarctic Science Strategic Plan 2011/12‑2020/21, revising and extending the plan for a further five years.
- Developed, in collaboration with the Tasmanian Government, an agreed approach to the future of the ageing Macquarie Island research station infrastructure.
- Systematically set in place collaborative relationships with key international partners – including our major partners in East Antarctica – to share capabilities and facilitate more efficient science, operations and policy outcomes in Antarctica.
- Established a clear approach, in conjunction with key international partners, to prevent, deter and eliminate illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing in the Southern Ocean.
- Assessed progress against achieving our national Antarctic interests and delivering on the Action Plan.