Sounds of Antarctica
The Antarctic and subantarctic are home to an incredible array of wildlife. Please visit the Wildlife page for more information.
Among the wide variety of penguin species are some quite different calls.
- Adélie penguins squabbling MP3
A couple of Adélie penguins have a squabble on Béchervaise Island.
- Emperor penguin adults and chicks MP3
The chicks’ calls are short and high pitched, and the adults’ calls are longer and deeper.
- Emperor penguin sneezing MP3
Yes, penguins can sneeze!
Seals use a variety of calls underwater during the breeding season, and these are accompanied by the sound of sea ice breaking and cracking. They also make noises above ground, such as breathing and yawning.
- Elephant seal claiming its territory MP3
An elephant seal demands others to stay away from its territory.
- Weddell seal breathing MP3
This seal is holding its nostrils just above the water and taking some breaths.
- Weddell seal underwater call 1 MP3
This call is a long high whistle, falling in tone.
- Weddell seal underwater call 2 MP3
This call consists of repeated chirps.
- Weddell seal underwater call 3 MP3
This call is a single, slowly descending tone.
- Weddell seal underwater call 4 MP3
This call consists of a series of descending chirps.
- Weddell seal yawning MP3
This seal has a nice big yawn while resting on the ice.
- Blue whale song MP3
The song of the pygmy blue whale (sped up 4× to raise the pitch to be audible to humans). You may need to use headphones to hear this.
A variety of aircraft, vehicles and vessels are used for Antarctic operations. Please visit the Travel and logistics page for more information.
- A319 aircraft idling on the runway MP3
The A319 aircraft idles on the runway at Hobart, prior to departure to Casey.
- Basler aircraft taxiing and taking off MP3
Basler aircraft are used for general operations within Antarctica.
- Helicopter taking off MP3
Helicopters are used for many purposes within Antarctica, including station resupply and science support.
- Twin Otter aircraft taking off MP3
Twin Otter aircraft are used for general operations within Antarctica.
- Hägglunds driving by MP3
Hägglunds are used to support field activities both close to station and thousands of kilometres away.