History of Australia's Antarctic buildings

Remains of accommodation buildings
Remains of accommodation buildings at Atlas Cove, Heard Island, 1983 (Photo: Bob Reeves)

When a party of expeditioners landed at Heard Island in December 1947 to establish the first ANARE station, they repaired a twenty year old shipwrecked sailor's hut for temporary accommodation while they erected four more huts, each built out of US Army plywood pre-fabricated materials.

These original huts were a far cry from the facilities available today on the continental stations of Casey, Davis and Mawson. The modern facilities have evolved, through many incarnations, from these early origins through the pioneering work of engineers and construction teams of the Australian Antarctic program.

This page was last modified on 11 June 2002.